Tuesday 16 June 2015

Willow Warblers mixing it up!

There have been at least 2 mixed singing Willow Warblers on Box Moor Trust land this Spring. One at Roughdown Common, around the chalk dell, and one at Bovingdon Brickworks (TL006027). I think both birds are Willow Warblers that are just good mimics. Also, both birds had Chiffchaffs singing closeby on territory. I have tried a number of times to record both birds but sods law applies. Every time I press record, the bird reverts to pure Willow Warbler. Every time I give up and walk away, the bird rattles off a beautiful Willow Warbler refrain followed by chiming Chiffchaff notes. Flipping birds. Anyway, I finally managed to get a half decent recording of the mixed singing bird at the Brickworks this evening.



A few butterflies still fluttering at 5pm around the site:

3 Meadow Brown
4 Speckled Wood
1 Small White
3 Common Blue
3 Dingy Skippers

Also, my first dragonfly of the year:
1 female Broad-bodied Chaser

No comments:

Post a Comment